On Sunday, I’m starting a summer teaching series on “Ten Words for a Beautiful Life”. It’s another look at the “Ten Commandments”.
Some internet searching led me to this version. I’m not sure I’ll be using this on Sunday, but it worth a post here!
Enjoy these more-timeless-than-I-realized words (translations are included just in case!)…
TEN COMMANDMENTS (Ebonic style)
1. I’m God. Don’t play me.
(I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt not have any other gods before me)
2. Don’t be makin no hood ornaments and charms outta me, or like me
(Thou shalt not have any graven images)
3. Don’t be callin’ me for no reason
(Thou shalt not use the name of the Lord thy God in vain)
4. Y’all betta be in church on Sunday
(Remember to keep the Sabbath day to keep it holy)
5. Don’t dis or cuss out yo momma….and if you know who ya daddy is,
don’t dis him neither.
(Honor thy father and mother)
6. Don’t be goin’ on no drive bys
(Thou shalt not kill)
7. Stick to ya own Boo
(Thou shalt not commit adultery)
8. Don’t be borrowing stuff and don’t gi’ it back.
(Thou shalt not steal)
9. Don’t be snitchn on the uva man to save yourself
(Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy brother)
10.Don’t be eyein’ (skeeming) yo homie’s crib, ride, woman, or
(Thou shalt not covet anything that belongs to thy brother)