Beauty of a game!
I’ve got to be honest–I wasn’t expecting a win. In fact, my hopes were simply for a strong showing and an elimination of some past mistakes. I wanted to see Durant look steady and to see the team look solid overall. Even if we’d lost at the end, I would still agree with the analysts that it was the most exciting game of the CFL season thus far. Add to that a win in Calgary over Henry and his homies–you bet I’m in for that!
A few observations…
- Durant looked steady and then some. I still wonder if he’s got what it takes to be an elite CFL QB, but he’s certainly got some skills. Keep building on it, DD.
- Andy Fantuz hurt? That’s all right–rest up, Andy. Mr. Getzlaff filled in just fine. Two TDs and 100+ yards–good enough for CFL Canadian player of the week.
- Cates ran for over 100 yards and broke out for a couple long ones. When the run game is clicking, the passing game opens up–strange coincidence there? Not hardly.
- Gene Makowsky’s return helped the O-line and the offense in general, I’ve no doubt.
- Dressler’s return on the late missed field goal was big. Dressler overall continues to be a fantastic player for us–a very easy guy to cheer for as well.
- Clermont had a couple key catches, especially a first down completion on 2nd & 20–huge!
- Our D-line is still looking too easy to run against. Scott Schultz’s retirement likely won’t help that. What say ye, Coach Etcheverry?
Overall, I’m pretty happy to be 3-2 after 5 games. A win in BC would be sweet to see, but it’s certainly not a given. The Lions might be 1-4, but you’ve always got to take them seriously. The moment you don’t, you could get lit up. Add to that their 3 new signings this past week, and they are a team that should be playing with a bit of an edge. We’ll have to be at our best.