Am I a bad person for feeling some pain for the poor Bombers today? Because I did. A little.
55-10 is a whooping on any day by any team. Add 8 Winnipeg turnovers, and over 100 yards penalties by each team, and this one wasn’t pretty… unless you are a Riders’ fan. What stood out?
- Durant continues to develop. Turnovers have been the one real gripe people have had against him. Today, he limited that to one interception–and the Bombers’ Dockett had to make a decent play to get that one.
- Cates continues to be a great running back for us. Didn’t see his final numbers, but he brings everything to the table with his running, receiving, and blocking.
- Siddeeq Shabazz, obviously frustrated by the loss, needed some reining in late in this game. Glad to see that no one got hurt.
- Fantuz looked a bit rusty up until he won the jumpball thrown to the endzone by Jason Armstead. Nice to see a bit of trickery on offense. Even nicer to see it work!
- Stu Foord ran well with some touches today.
- Dressler always gets a mention–he didn’t break loose today, but he’s always in the mix and making things happen.
- Jyles looked fine in the 4th, and I was glad to see us get him in there.
- The Bombers are not a terrible team, but they are in trouble. And if any fans in the league know about the frustration of not having adequate QB’ing, it’s us Rider fans. Mark it down: Casey Printers’ name WILL be spoken this week. As I watched, I also wondered if there weren’t at least some regrets about letting both Glenn and Dinwiddie go in the off-season.
- Congi did all we asked him to do today. Can’t look for more than perfection on the chances you give a guy.
- DB’s were buzzing today. Some of our picks came because the Bombers’ QB’s made mistakes, but some were just hungry DB’s jumping on balls and out-battling receivers. Gotta like seeing that.
As I said last week, a sweep of the Bombers is hardly big news this season. But it had to be played out, and we played out well. If we can hand a beating to the Esks next week, this province will be rocking.
Over and out for another week.